Saturday, November 21, 2015

Embarrassment

So, I was having a good time at Orycon37 in the Marriot Hotel. Two hours before my shift at the Northwest Independent Writer's Association, (trying to sell along with a lot of other books, my Shatterworld) my back began to hurt. I did not want to be in agony during my two hour shift. The only way I can make my back stop hurting is to lie flat on my back for a while. There wasn't any space behind the NIWA table in the dealer's room. There were too many people in both the art and dealer rooms. I didn't want to be in anybody's way. So I did what I wasn't supposed to do. I ducked behind one of black curtains that means this side is hall and this side is staff and stacked furniture.
I lay back on the carpet well out of everybody's way, closed my eyes, and mentally worked on a chapter for a book in the Tales of Talifar series, and had figured out a way to add some tension. I may have dozed off.
I woke up and there were six faces looking down at me. I sat up, saying "What? What?"
A paramedic asked me, What is your name? Do you know where you are? Who is the president?"
After I passed the test, I told the concerned group who had thought I had fainted, "I'm leaving now." and escaped back to the dealer's room.
After my shift and after the costume contest I went up to the NIWA party room, which wasn't open yet. So I lay down pressed against the wall next to the door, and like Granny Weatherwax, I put a sign on me that read, I AIN'T DEAD, and rested my back again.

No comments:

Post a Comment