Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Review of Hobbits, You, and the Spiritual World of Middle-Earth by Jill Richardson

I really enjoyed this devotional, even though I did not know it was a devotional until I got it in the mail. I normally don't care much for devotionals, but this one spoke to me. I think all fans of the Hobbit book or the hobbit movies will get a kick out of the irreverent analyses of the different characters and how you can see characters like them in Scripture. I would be careful about who I hand the books to as many people cannot tolerate fantasy. But if you know a young fan or the hobbit book or movies, the short chapters and pithy, sarcastic writing should draw them in, and they will learn much they may not have thought much about. Oh, I need to buy another one for the other grandson.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Lelia! You are correct--in Christian culture words like "irreverent" and "sarcastic" are not usually complimentary. But I think they're fun when used right. I like that teens are honest, so I try to be honest right back. I normally don't care for devotionals either, so I especially appreciate that you enjoyed this one.

    ReplyDelete