Saturday, November 9, 2013

Review of two books

The Sky Beneath My Feet by Lisa Samson: If you like literary fiction, you might like this book as much as I did. The characters were all believable and engaged in understandable struggles. I did think the main character was a bit of a bitch, nag, nag, nagging her husband. I kept thinking, "What is her problem?" until near the very end of the book when we discover he husband has never apologized to her for anything. What? That is a problem, and suddenly everything in the book slipped into place. Since I come from a tradition that honors "prayer mountains" and have read a lot about solitary retreats, I could not understand why the husband going on a solitary retreat was supposed to be such a bad thing and "weird".
The spiritual crisis of the wife was beautifully handled. I think anybody who likes reading about relationships will like this book of friends and frenemies and children and church.

A Million Miles In A Thousand Years by Donald Miller. As it is with a lots of Donald Miller's books, it's a little difficult to say exactly this book is. It is sort of a memoir about the making of the movie Blue Like Jazz. It is sort of a devotional. It is sort of a philosophical treatise. It is all over entertaining and thought-provoking. I am giving this book to a couple of my sons who I hope will enjoy the book as much as I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment